Saturday, May 23, 2009

Used cars

If you know me, you know that I know a lot more about cars than your average girl (and most guys, for that matter).  And if you know me, you also know I am, and have always been, a major supporter of buying second hand vehicles.  Perhaps it comes from the fact that we (my family) have never owned a brand new car.  Perhaps it's because my dad loves to buy and fix used cars.  But regardless of the familial influences to my conscience decision to love 2nd hand vehicles (cf. brand new ones), I still believe second hand cars are the smart choice. 

Why, you may ask??  Well, on top of the major "its cheaper" reason, Leehom came up with another great reason. 
Apparently, Leehom bought himself a new car for his birthday this year.  and by "new", i mean a second hand Mazda.  The reason he, who makes millions of dollars a year, chose a second hand vehicle is cuz of the following articles:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr/
http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/magazine/16-06/ff_heresies_09usedcars

Interesting eh?  I never thought of it like that, even after taking a few Env.Sci courses in undergrad... But good for Leehom!  and I'm glad he agrees with me, even though the idea bore out of different fruit.
I now stand by my "buying new cars is stupid"* ideology even more.

* fine print...
There's a caveat to this rule.  This rule does not apply if you're gonna be buying a fancy car, i.e. smt worth >$100K because then its just a status symbol (which, to an extent, I'm ok with... However I am NOT ok with Humvees (unless you're going to war), SUVs (unless you're actually going off-roading), nor 'cheap' sports cars (i.e. not a Lamborghini, or the like)).
Any car worth less than that, why in the world would you buy new?!?!?  Buying a new "cheap" car is the most economically stupid thing that one can ever do. I'm very very vocal about this, so if u're not buying a fancy shmancy car, do not talk to me about new cars cuz other than yell at you, i will give u no advice other than "You're a complete and utter MORON.  Buy a used car, dumbass"

No comments:

Post a Comment