I haven't updated in awhile, so i guess i'll do that now...
Life in Beijing has been pretty boring, hence the lack of an update, once again. I've only been to the Botanical Gardens, WangFuJing, and Summer Palace so far. Botanical Gardens is very meh. Summer Palace is as always, pretty. it was a beautiful day when i went, and not too hot. it was actually quite windy so no boats for me. :( FYI, traveling there is a pain in the butt, but at least i got 50% off the price with my ISIC card! yay!! didn't think it'd work in China, but damn glad that it does! Hope it works in JZG since that ticket price is a significant difference. i also got to speak english for the first time in a week to someone who can really understand me!!
Wang Fu Jing is hilarious. Its very very touristy, and totally looks like Shanghai's Nanjing 'pedestrian' Road. only difference beeing the one in Shanghai is better looking and more popular. But the funny thing there is their food. Its UBER expensive (for beijing prices), and its very very interesting. Like, sheep penis, wrapped around a stick. yes, its very long (altho very very skinny). and starfish. and bugs that are still alive when they're deep fried!! (see my pictures/videos on FB when i finally upload) i had a great time being a tourist and taking tons and tons of pictures of the funky foods. Beijing food still tastes like crap tho, so i didn't buy much.
Other events...:
- We finally met with the ppl we're working with today. The plan was to meet tomorrow, but last minute, MW got a call to switch the meeting to oh, 4 hrs later. The campus is really relaly ugly, or maybe i've been spoiled with ECNU and this campus that i'm staying at now. The bldg we're in is also stinky, like chinese squat toilet stinky. yup. I do think I'm spoiled in China - i haven't used a squat toilet in someone's house since i was 6 (first and only time). and we know how Canada is.... so its kinda hard to wrap my head around the ghettoness of the place.
- I met my Xiaoyu [cousin]'s wife today. she's more shy than his ex and cf. his brother's ex-wife as well (the one i absolutely hate). I also think she's rather stupid.... i hope she was just having a 'stupid day'.... she's just really slow. and its hard for me to understand her, like everyone else in Beijing. :P I dunno why i understand my cousin when he speaks considering his speech is weirder than anyone else's... meh, maybe the similarity in genetic makeup helps us to understand each other. we're more alike than most think, its kinda weird. Billy & I have the exact same moles on our bodies, but on opposite sides (we're twins i tell u, TWINS!).... and Xiaoyu and I have similar taste in 'decorations'? e.g. my favourite piece of furniture/decoration in his new place is this lamp by the front door... i think its really awesome looking and told him. he then told his mom that his wife absolutely hates that lamp!! i guess they compromised cuz there's other stuff that he doesn't like in the house that she likes (i don't like the same things that he doesn't like). anywho.... genes are weird!!!
signing off now.
MW and I hafta stay home all tmr to translate our questionnaire. fun times.... (we had hoped a lackie would do it for us)
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment