Saturday, February 20, 2010

inefficiencies

Just coming off of the fast-paced world of surgery, I am now being slowly dragged through internal medicine.  I'd like to emphasize the slow part.

Pros: I think i'll learn a lot.  90% of the lectures we had last year is useful knowledge to what we're doing now... trouble is, that's about 2 ft stack of notes, double sided (I wish i was exaggerating!), thus i only remember perhaps 0.05% of it.  At least after seeing some of my patients, some more of that knowledge will be more engrained.  ... One can hope...

Cons: SO MANY!
e.g. It took SIX HOURS for me to finish one consult!  No, i'm not slow.  I could've been done in an hour (from start to finish) if things were done more efficiently, i.e. if i didn't have to wait to review, or if they would just be more efficient and use their cell phones!!!  ugh!  it's a huuuuge contrast to surgery, where things were not always efficient, but waaaaaaaaaay more efficient than my days now.  There was no standing around waiting for things to happen.  The only time that would happen would be if i went too early to the OR ... but then, i could always watch what the anesthetists were doing!

I really appreciate all the teaching - it takes up about 30% of my day.  another 20% is taken up by rounds.  about 20-30% is taken up by seeing my patients and writing notes and orders.  The rest of the time is all WAITING or walking around being a minion slash delivery boy!!  UGH!

I hope it gets better.  i'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment